Revisiting 2021

1/01/2022 11:46:00 PM

2021, the year where everyone thought COVID would be under control and we would all resume our pre-COVID lifestyles. At the time of writing, we're still a far cry from being able to travel anywhere freely, but the situation has indeed gotten a little better from a few months ago. I stopped hoping that the whole situation would get better soon, but I still hope that the people I care about would be safe and healthy.

Personally, I find that my 2021 was generally way better than 2020. I am mentally and physically happier, and healthier~

If I can sum up my 2021 in one word, it would be "experimental", a year of many firsts. Second to that would be "reflection". 

This year, I spent a lot of time trying out new things, finding out new interests and potential sources for my side income (which I have always done, but this year I was way more aggressive 😂). I also reflected more, did more regular check-ins to review what worked and what didn't, to prioritise the things that I want to do and to force myself to be on track to the goals that I have set for myself. 

On the note of many firsts, this year is the first in many years (or even ever) that I did not post this blogpost on the 31st of Dec. I was in Malacca with my housemates and colleagues, and the week before that, a series of events and just one day in between to recuperate (more on this in a while). I'm a little sad that I didn't uphold the ritual in 2021, but I'm also kinda relieved that I didn't spend the last day of the year 2021 locking myself up in my room, churning out contents for this blogpost while ignoring Teddy and family members until dinner 😂

Following last year's blogpost sequence, I'll start from some lowlights of the year, followed by recap, highlights, and goals for next year. 

Lowlights of 2021 

Surprisingly, I honestly can't think of anything. Surprising in the sense that I felt like 2021 was just okay, but at the same time, unlike last year where I can directly pinpoint all unhappy moments of the year, this year, nothing comes to my mind when I'm thinking what didn't go too well, so I'll take this as an indication that 2021 had indeed been a happier year for me!❤️ 

It might be because I'm writing this post after all the fun and adventurous events for the past week (I took leave starting from the second half of 21st of December and it has been jam packed with events ever since 😂). 

If I have to write something (not sure why am I feeling obliged to do so when this is my blogpost and there's prolly no one reading this), it would be this constant feeling of not having enough time to do the things I want to and this constant stress that follows. 

If I am still (eg. when in transport from one place to another) or not doing something productive, I get very paranoid. I hate the feeling of letting time just slip through my fingers. I need to constantly be doing things, productive things to be exact. And if I don't, I would deem that day unproductive, and I won't be too happy with myself for the whole day. 

Worse still, I find myself sometimes not genuinely enjoying having conversations with people. I don't enjoy "empty" conversations, gossips are baseless and a waste of time. 

I am not too good at handling this side of me, this agitated self. My parents and Teddy are always the victim to this and I feel so apologetic. It's very obvious to them, and maybe even to some of my closer friends that I am in this constant need to be rushing, hustling. 

I became this selfish, no chill, emotionally unstable bomb that's very annoying to be around with. 

Exactly what am I rushing for? Why am I in a rush? What's my definition of being productive? And why do I not let myself rest a little more, a little longer? 

I have been completely aware of this, yet I am not actively doing something to make a change. Deep down, I have answers to the questions above, and I know why I am acting this way. I want to hide this side of me from everyone else, I don't want any of my friends/family to feel distanced from me or that I am too boring/ too "ahead"/too serious to hang out with, so I continued on doing the things I normally do in the past, but what I really want to be doing is something else, my own things. 

This back and forth is also very slowly taking a toll on me. I want more alone time so that I can focus on the things I want to do, but I can't say no to certain friends' outing invitations even when I really don't feel like it. And I try to justify/rationalize this by brainwashing myself that I need to be acting my age cuz I'm still 24, the age when I should still be goofing around (actually, not really, no). 

But of course, these doesn't apply to the ones I genuinely enjoy their company. With them, conversations don't need to be serious, I don't need to be doing productive things, I can be myself, and I recharge my happiness meter when I'm with them. 

..Contradicting, confusing, yes. I question myself forever too. 

Does that mean it's time for me to drop or distance myself not meaningful (enough) friendships? No, I don't have it in me to do this. And I still think I should go out and party more while I can, even when I know I will curse myself out for not working on the things I really want to be doing at the end of the day. So I guess I will live with this contradiction until I know how to balance this. 

But I really need to stop this toxic thought of "do something productive or you're wasting time!", if not for myself, for the ones who care about me. If I find it hard, I should at least tell my brain to chill the f out when I'm resting, or just sleep an hour more. I should stop pushing myself too hard - but even while I am typing this, I know I will continue to chiong regardless of my wellbeing HAHAHA. Okay Shu En, at least not make it so obvious and make friends/family worry okay? 

Moving on to the next section - all the fun things I did for the year! 

Ft my current fav photo of myself
The mask instantly made me 83264 folds prettier HAHHA 

The many firsts in my life 

All in 2021

1. Having shots HAHHAHA 🍻

In March, when I was back in town, we went to a bar for the first time after 932478 days since lockdown. At Tavern 13, I finally got to try shots for the first time! HAHHA It was really fun! 😝



2. Buying crypto 🚀 

I started watching and reading about crypto. I remember swearing that I won't ever get into crypto because it was too volatile and I didn't understand how does one go about evaluating crypto. A few months later, I'm in the game, and I consciously gave in into some meme coin craze too. Too young, too dumb 😇

3. Using Notion to organise my life 

I started using Notion in late May to keep track of my life - and it has honestly been so helpful. I find it easy for me to gather and put my thoughts in order. I basically manage my life with Notion now, can't imagine myself without it (not sponsored LOL). 

4. ATV
 

Gahh! It was scary and fun! We went to ATV Adventure Park KL. It was actually drizzling a little on the day we went. Thankfully, I had a driver alongside me in my ATV and he was steering more than half of the journey (coz at times the roads were a little challenging and I was scared) and it was sooooo fun! 

5. Buying myself IU's album - LILAC 💜

First gift to myself this year, and my first time buying an album! I got IU's LILAC album! Although it's sitting on my shelf back in PD, I don't regret it! Hahhahaa 

6. Selling something on Carousell 

Since I gave my mom the iPad mini I won in last year's KOM, I don't really have the chance to use the Apple Pencil anymore, so I sold it on Carousell, along with a few other stuffs. At least these transactions helped reduced my losses! 

7. Posting something on Medium

Found out about Medium and even tried posting! I still haven't really found my focus on what topics should I revolve around for my posts and I keep feeling I'm a noob cuz everyone else seems to have way better English and writing style 😭 Putting a pause on Medium posts 

8. Being an iOS app developer! 

I have finally, FINALLY, mustered my courage and asked to switch teams. 
I was quite close to deciding to leave the company cuz I thought I would never be able to shake off my current responsibilities even when I am in the new team, but still decided to try switching to another team instead. 

I was also in a huge dilemma on whether I should continue on being a cloud/Android developer, but ultimately decided to switch to iOS instead. I was reading The Middle Finger Project at that time and it did exactly what I wanted at the time - someone or something to echo my thought of "just do it simply because you like it". I like Apple products, and iPhones and apps on iPhones. I don't need to over justify my choices. 😂 Since I am now slowly stepping into the iOS world, I should also work towards my wish of releasing my own app to the App Store one day. 

Few months in, I'm learning a lot, and I'm happy with the switch! But I'm not too happy with myself cuz I'm not growing enough and I spent too much time on non-functional events - eg. HAITS Got Talent! which brings me to my next point. 

9. Being PM for HAITS Got Talent!  

After initiating Clubs & Societies, my next non-functional gig was this event. It was my first time being the PM for these sorta events. I won't say I thoroughly enjoyed being in the role coz I was hella stressed (which I didn't wanna acknowledge nor admit), but I really enjoyed the whole process. ❤️ Heck, it even made me wonder what would it be like if I'm a PM/PO in the future LOL. I loved working with my small team of committee members and seeing how it all turned out on the actual day. 

When it all ended, I don't know what gotten into me and I started balling my eyes out, prolly shocking a few people, but I guess it's due to a combination of relief, happy that it went well, touched from the support we received, sad that it's now over, and 3743984 undetected emotions. 

10. Exercising consistently

For a few consecutive months, I exercised 3-4 times a week. I just wanted to feel more in control of my life and more confident about myself. I actually quite liked how exercising switches my brain off from work and how it changes my mood for the better if I had a not too happy day at work. I think my brain works better after a few months at it too. Sadly I didn't keep this up in December. Hoping to continue on the streak next year! 


11. Playing Valorant / Party games with HAITS Gaming Club

After heck knows how long, I played PC games with the gang! There was also a period where I was super hooked to Valorant (still terrible horrible vegetable at it) and we would play until 4am and I would regret not having enough sleep the next day and repeat the cycle all over again. 

.. I have eye bags now thanks to this. Uneven ones, even worse. 🙂

12. Owning a pair of boots 👢

I certainly didn't see this coming. It's not something to go ooh aah over, it's just that I never considered styling myself with boots, in Malaysia at that. I'm actually super happy that I managed to snatch a cool looking and comfortable one for RM500++ when the original price was RM700++ during 11.11 sales. I just wore it to Arkadia the other day for Christmas Eve countdown! 



13. Jogging in parks/Hiking 🏃🏻‍♀️

Nope, I didn't magically came to like exercising (sadly), but I wanna thank myself for actually taking the initiative to wake up early in the morning for jogs and hikes, while dragging poor Teddy into this adventure hahahah. 

14. Posting on XHS

Also another one that I didn't expect myself doing. So far I've posted PLOGs, restaurant reviews and sharing some other stuffs. I started with the intention to document memories, but my reviews on restaurants is surprisingly getting way more traction, so I guess I'll keep it up too, hopefully I'm able to help people with these posts >< 

My next challenge is to do VLOGs - something that I've always wanted to do! It's not gonna be easy for me to vlog my day to day but I wanna at least give it a go! 

I've also quit Facebook coz I found myself spending more time on XHS. One platform needs to go otherwise I'll be forever stuck in these infinity pools 😅 Been enjoying the swap so far. I tend to get emotionally effected when I saw the news on Facebook. I also think if some news is important enough, I would eventually know it from someone or somewhere. But that doesn't mean I should be spending too much time on XHS either! 

15. Trying Pilates, bouldering, dancing class 💃🏻

These are one of the outcomes from "lockdown got me cray cray" moments. 

I tried Pilates cuz I remember Rosé was doing Pilates in BP's variety show sometime ago - didn't find it super fun, but it's better than yoga for me! 

Bouldering.. maybe just not for me. Dancing..! I've actually always wanted to try dancing, part of it is also for me to gain confidence in my body and myself. I always see dancers oozing with charisma and confidence, and those are always what got me into wondering how different would I be if I learn dancing as well. So I went for a trial class for Girl's style dance, alone. Yea I suck at it, but who doesn't in the beginning. 

I also wanna try learning swimming, spinning and boxing! The plan is to try everything that I want first before finally deciding on which one should I stick with hehe. 


16. Trying teeth whitening 

Simply cuz I'm curious 🤣 I guess it did help a little..? I could see the difference in the first week..? But yea it's too expensive for me to continue on with it hahahah. 

17. Enrolling into a course on Coursera 

Finally tried this!! An email came one fine day saying I can enrol into any of the Google courses free for one-month. I've posted this on xhs with the intention to spread the good news and the post actually blew up, who would've thought. 

I enrolled for the UX course cuz I've been eyeing on it since before the course even got launched. I'm halfway through it, hoping that I would persevere and get that cert!  

18. Enjoying a full course fine dining + first pandora 🥺

Teddy brought me to this restaurant with super minimal deco for a full course fine dine dinner and omg the food was so good 😭 I even got my first pandora aahhhh 

19. Kena Toto! (Or magnum or damacai idk HAHHA) 

So Teddy got a new car, the model which we were both pretty confident he won't be getting. 😂 On the day where we went to get the car, a few of us simply bought the his car plate number coz we have no idea how these things work (still don't) and we magically won a small amount (still don't know how), but hey! Better than nothing! Hhahahhahha  

20. Paragliding 🪂

The 2020 Shu En prolly wouldn't have believed this. I WENT PARAGLIDINGGG WEEE

After HGT, a suggestion that I've gotten was to bring the committees out to a 4-5 star hotel to enjoy a nice meal. After discussing with the group, we wanted to do some fun activities instead. There were suggestions for escape room, go karting, sky trekking, laser tags and I suggested paragliding as I just came across a paragliding post on xhs just the day before that. 

We all voted. And guess what received the most votes!! 

We had to wait for quite a long time up the hill, I even got some sunburn on my face, I thank myself for bringing my Adidas jacket coz it saved me from getting sunburn on my arms hahaha. 

To my surprise, I wasn't scared at all when came the time to fly. It might be because of the long wait, or the weather that disabled me from thinking straight. I was nervous in the morning, but came the time to stand on the take-off area, I only thought of one thing "LET'S GOOOOO". 

Mid-air, with me trying to speak over the Bluetooth speaker my pilot clipped on, I told the pilot I was actually afraid of heights HAHAH.

I found being in mid-air not too scary. I would try paragliding again if I have a different view. I think I've already registered the view from the long wait up the hill so when I was in the air, the view wasn't really breathtaking anymore hahaha.

Next huge thing on my bucket list - sky diving!! 

21. Getting drunk?? 

Question mark(s) indeed. A few of us went to Iron fairies. It happed to be ladies night, and I was still on leave. It's defo green light to test how it feels like getting more than just a lil tipsy. 

After 5-6 free flows (the only options were vodka and tequilla), I've tried Long Island for the first time (which according to my colleague, is trash and doesn't taste like how it should taste), and something called White Russian. 

I mean, I was still able to walk straight (maybe a lil wobbly), but it's the first time where I felt like I mightttt puke. 

And I finally could prove that I am the type to get quiet and sleepy when I'm drunk(?)! (Teddy is still denying this) I slept for around an hour at my colleagues' place while they were playing the brand new PS5 hahahah. 

22. Touching corgi and shiba inu kyaaaa!!

Okay, another one that's not ground breaking. For the longest time, my bucket list was to touch a shiba inu. Not to own one, but just to touch one, a smiling one. I fell in love with shiba inu after this very photo. 
Shiba Inu Gets Stuck In Bush, Pretends Everything Is OK | Bored Panda

SO YUM GONG OTTOKE!! 

I was sooo close to touching one at Japan, I mustered my courage and asked the lady (in Japanese, don't know how I did that) if I could touch her shiba inu. To which she replied the wou wou just came back from grooming and it would bite strangers and she's apologetic (also don't know how I understood all that in Japanese). 

BUT!

On the 31st, when my housemate dropped her pet dog at a pet hotel, we saw a shiba inu! It was trapped behind a transparent door, those foldable type. After some time, it actually opened the door itself and came rushing to Teddy and I for sayang! And I touched it for the first time aaaahhhhh!!!! 

And when we went to desa park sometime ago to have steamboat, there was a corgi named milkshake that came to me to ask for sayang and ever since then I really can't quite forget about milkshake and corgis. Cuteeeeee 😭

23. Read a lot! 

I read 16 (and a half) books in 2021! I've found my everyday 10 mins Kindle slot - when I'm blow drying my hair hahaha. 

I'll aim for only 15 books in 2022 though, I don't want to chase after numbers and I'm hoping I can also spare some time to watch movies/series instead coz I haven't gotten much time to do so in 2021. 

Highlights of 2021 

  • First staycation of the year with Teddy, Bryan, Julia - lots of food and ATV! 🚙
  • Changed teams and role (covered that above) 👩🏻‍💻
  • Surprised Julia and Bryan when I went back to AD in October (their reactions 😂)
  • Staycation #2 with Teddy, Bryan, Julia, Irene and Leon - lots of food againnnn 🌮
  • Visited many yummy places and cafes - thanks to the recommendations on XHS 🤤
  • Visited Genting! Tried Five Guys (eww) and Burger and Lobster! 🦞
  • Posting on XHS (covered that too) 📕
  • HAITS Got Talent! 🌟
  • Teddy got his own new car! 🚗
  • Two Malacca staycations with two different groups of people within 5 days 🧳
  • Keeping up with daily journaling and reading 📖
Favourite movie of the year: Disney's Soul 
Favourite book of the year: The Midnight Library 

Fact Checking 

1. Be stronger mentally and physically + Be happy ✅

Checked. Wouldn't say I'm mentally stronger though, but I'm definitely generally happier now compared to last year. 

I exercised more, cried lesser (I don't glorify this and I still cry when I want to), OT-ed a little lesser, and spent more time on friends and family, and most importantly, myself. 

2. Generate more income
Uhh, not really no. I mean I started to post some stuffs on XHS and gotten 2 messages about sponsorships but that's not it. I still have a long longgg way to go 😂

3. Invest 
In myself, I'm taking a course on Coursera and I'm reading as much as I can. In stocks, not so, but I unexpectedly jumped to crypto, something I vowed to stay clear away coz it's too volatile for me. 

Life's surprising sometimes hahaha. 

Goals for 2022

This year, I'll be doing things a little differently. I'll be setting goals for different aspects, and I'm hoping to do more regular self check-ins like what I've been doing for the past few months instead of this yearly review. Let's see if this works for me. 

These goals are a not-so-detailed version, some for obvious reasons, some coz I'm still straightening out the goal. 

1. Work 
  • Cut down on involvement with non-functional activities 
  • Focus on iOS dev 
  • Try to get off work by 6pm and OT twice a week (This is already a too ambitious goal hahaha)

2. Self-growth 
  • Read 15 books, read 10 minutes everyday
  • Finish UX course 

3. Health 
  • Exercise at least 3-4 times a week 
  • Try out swimming/spinning/boxing by February 
  • Decide on which activities to stick to coz I am broke and I don't have all the time in the world hahahaha  

4. Wealth 
  • Spend only X on food/entertainment 
  • Spend X amount on investments/donation funds 
  • DCA in certain portfolios 
  • Save at least X amount monthly, reach total of X amount by the end of 2022

5. Entertainment 
  • Watch movies/ Netflix series 
  • Watch Youtube ~ 
  • Café hopping, food hunts 
  • Casual PC games~ 

6. Family/Friends 
  • Go back to PD at least once a month 
  • Friends outings (don't ffk too much) 

7. Side stuffs  
  • Make my own iOS app 
  • Post more XHS contents 

Wokiee, I think that's it for this post! 

Looking forward to see what's in store, or really, how I'm fairing to my goals in 2022. 

Here's hoping that everyone is safe and healthy. To a new year filled with joy and prosperity! ❤️

Happy 2022! 

xoxo

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Amazing 2021! Lets get the train on full load for 2022!

    ReplyDelete

Advertise